Re: [tlug] Potentially Dying Hard Disk Questions

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 09:01, Zev Blut wrote:
> I am running a check for bad blocks now, but I think it may be something
> deeper
> Nonetheless, I will definitely only use it for unimportant data.

I recently discovered the smartmontools [1] that will let you query the
Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology System (SMART) found
on modern drives. This is the same technology that you find in the
hard-drive diagnostic boot disks most manufacturers offer.

HTH, Ben

[1] http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/