[tlug] Without the swap space.

Hi there,

I wonder why my linux box is so slow, when it uses huge memory.

So I tried to delete the swap space and I expected to get some errors
when the application cannot find the memory space, like "memory
allocation error" or something. It makes my mind ease very much,
because it must keep the machine response so quick.

But the fact was different. When I deleted the swap space, and I
confirmed my memory space is only 128MB RAM by "free" command, but
it became really slow when I invoke "spamassassin" or some other
memory consuming applications. Sometimes it hangs up.

Is this a known problem of Linux? I heard of a word "thrashing" of
the time sharing system, but is there any way to keep controls of
the box, without pushing the power button?

Just curious. Hope someone can suggest anything.

== Money is one of the minimum conditions to do anything, but... =======
  Shin MICHIMUKO <smitimko@example.com> http://www.peanuts.gr.jp/