Re: [tlug] C vs. other languages (was: tlug-digest Digest V2004#194)

    SS> We thrash through about 8Mb of memory to fetch 5kb worth of
    SS> data out of a data base.

Yeah, for some reason java programmers love design patterns, their
favorite one being `abstract factory'.

    SS> [...]

    SS> In general OO is much more resource intensive (memory and
    SS> CPU) than a more process driven design.  And C is a much
    SS> more suitable languzge for this than C++ (Although I do like
    SS> type-safe linking) or Java.

OO is a powerful tool, and if people don't know how to use it, it's
their, not the tool's, problem. OO allows you to _simplify_ your code
IMHO.

Having said that, I realize that C++ (along with Perl) is one of the
most abused languages, so people should think twice before choosing it
for a project (proof is too much bad C++ code around).

--
Viktor