[tlug] Mutt, send-hooks, and attachments (oh my!)

Here is a question for all of you Mutters out there (Firefly, anyone?):

A chap on the svn-users list recently told me about a very neat feature of
kmail: if you try to send a message containing a form of the verb "attach", it
will prompt you before sending if the message contains no attachments. This is
to stop the all-too-common case in which you say "find attached foo", and then
forget to attach foo, making yourself look foolish.

My idea was to use a Mutt send-hook to accomplish this, but it looks like
(from reading the documentation[1]) hooks can only operate on stuff from
extracted from the message headers.

The other issue is that I don't see a way for hooks to stop a message from
being sent, or take some action based on the output (or return value) of an
external command, or launch an internal Mutt prompt (e.g. "Purge 4 deleted
messages? ([yes]/no): ").

Short of looking at The Source, does anyone have suggestions?

TIA,
Josh

[1] http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html#pattern_hook

--
Josh Glover

Gentoo Developer (http://dev.gentoo.org/~jmglov/)
Tokyo Linux Users Group Listmaster (http://www.tlug.jp/)

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103