Re: [tlug] Kdm and Japanese (somehow related to Input Methods)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:49:59 +0900
Alessandro Mantelli【HOBIBOX】 <alex@example.com> wrote:

> Hello, I configured Debian for the Japanese input
> with set-language-env ja. Using canna and kinput2.
> Now the strange thing is that if I just simply start
> kde with startx it works, if I start it through
> kdm, Japanese input doesn't respond.
> I've also noticed that if started via kdm,
> multilanguage applications like openoffice appear
> in English (thou all the standard applications are in Japanese).
> Do I need to change some settings in the scripts under /etc/kde3/kdm ?

startx uses xinit with a different set of scripts (/etc/X11/Xsession.d/,
user's .xsession, .xinitrc,  and possibly others) than [gkx]dm does.
For gdm, there are directories with PreSession/PostSession under
/etc/X11/gdm which is linked to /etc/gdm. I guess kdm does likewise, but
can't comment because i'm in the G camp.
Yeah, it's complicated, especially xfree updates breaking things.

See xinit(1x), startx(1) and kdm's manpage, these explain things fairly
well on debian.