Re: [tlug] xfree and different keyboardlayouts

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Botond> I recommend xmodmap.
>
> XKeyCaps is the way to go.  It's far too easy to screw up with raw
> XModMap.  XKeyCaps is a GUI wrapper for XModMap that (a) shows you
> what you're doing and (b) does sanity checks on your mappings.  If
> your Linux distro doesn't have it, it's here:
>
> http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/

i found a far unelegant way to solve my problem and start now kxkb on
startup, makes it some seconds slower but it works (äöüß)

xkeykaps isn`t really useful because several keys of the japanese layout
are ignored in any given keyboard-layout which is at least similar to it.

I will play around with Xmodmap to figure out how exactly it functions,
in the manuals I find only something about scroll-lock and it could be
that it`s missing on my keyboard but you (Botond) mapped right-alt to do
the job when I understood you right...
I will figure it out later...the instructions in the net for Xmodmap are
usually only for mapping the meta-key which I do not use as far as I
think (no Vi or Emacs, only lamer-kate and pico -- when I have time I
will try to learn Vi or Emacs...espescially Emacs seems to be very
interesting)

Thanks for your help

Niels

--