Re: [tlug] xfree and different keyboardlayouts

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:17:55 +0900
Niels Kobschaetzki <niels.k@example.com> wrote:

> > It would be also very interesting if someone would have an idea how I
> > put the shift+space for shifting to japanese input to another key
> > (like one of the unused japanese ones)
with im-ja it's trivial, ;>
with kinput2 you need to put the following into your .Xdefaults and
shift+kanji will put kinput2 into Japanese conversion mode.

! *inputMethod: kinput2
*conversionStartKeys:   Shift<Key>Kanji
*xlcConversionStartKey: Shift<Key>Kanji

> in addition to the Umlaute comes the "sz" or "scharfes S" (no uppercase
> letter exists of this) if there is a solution to stick with the japanese
> keyboard and adding the additional keys...
I'm using a custom xmodmap file (attached) and input accented letters with
"right alt + key", i.e.  right alt + o will give an o'
You'll have to tweak the xmodmap file for German though, because mine is
for Hungarian.

There is another method using compose sequences:
execute:
xmodmap -e 'keycode 109 = Multi_key'
press once right control, then `s' twice, will give you a scharfesS.
Beware, because this doesn't work with gtk input modules and requires more
keypresses.
I recommend xmodmap.

--
B0Ti.