[tlug] Input methods, once more

I have debian unstable on my desktop computer, and practically
everything that even remotely sounds like a japanese input method
installed.

I need to input both kanji and latin9 in mozilla-firefox, preferably so
that I can toggle the input method on and off with Shift-Space.

It _ALMOST_ works, through uim-gtk2.0. Shift-Space toggles a kanji mode,
but it makes absolutely no sense to me. Examples:

The Q key outputs hiragana "ku"
The A key outputs the (relatively rare) kanji for e.g. Africa
The S key outputs katakana "MU"
The Z key outputs something that doesn't seem like japanese at all

Some of the keys work together giving more alternatives, and sometimes
pressing the space key opens a menu that gives alternatives, à la
kinput2.

This is obviously not what I want. I would like a simple kana-to-kanji
conversion. But where is it configured? Setting the XMODIFIERS
environment variable doesn't seem to affect anything, which is
understandable, since firefox is a gtk program.

I'm using KDE, by the way, if this matters.

TIA.

--
Tapio Peltonen <tappel@example.com>

This novel is not to be tossed lightly aside, but to be hurled with
great force.
                -- Dorothy Parker