Re: [tlug] Hardware Issue

>>>>> "Lyle" == Lyle Saxon <Lyle> writes:

    Lyle> No.  Never heard of it.  Is it good?

It's great for Emacs users, and lacks all of the junk keys that many
people never use, so very small while still having full-size keys.
YMMV, in particular, even the HH Lite 2 has chiclet-style arrow keys
(the original HH doesn't have dedicated movement keys at all), and you
need to chord for function keys and numeric keypad on all of them.  If
you use Shift-F1, then that becomes Fn-Shift-1 which is bad.

    Lyle> I don't understand what the above is/means.....

ASCII art for the glyphs on the Windows and Menu keys.

    Lyle> I've never had a problem using an English keyboard for Japanese.

I like the graphic key layout of the Japanese keyboard better than
that of the standard English keyboard.  That said, I think the point
of having all those stupid henkan function keys is simply to convince
skittish old folks that they really can give up their wapuros and use
PCs.  (Kana entry, on the other hand, is very useful for professional
typists, I'm told, and Koreans generally don't use their equivalent of
romaji at all; they go direct to Hangul jamo.)

    Lyle> Um.... what's "Meta" and "Super"?  A shortcut to switch
    Lyle> between users?

Modifier keys like Control and Alt.  It just gives you more ways to
two-key chord.  Also, window managers like to steal Alt-Fn and even
Alt-letter combinations for window manager functionality, which
doesn't bother GUI-oriented apps, but really is a problem for
keystroke-oriented ones (in particular, Emacs).  Having the extra
modifiers allows you to configure the WM to use those instead of
masking app functionality.