Re: [tlug] Hardware Issue

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Have you tried the Happy Hacker keyboard?

No.  Never heard of it.  Is it good?

>To be honest, I've long since stopped reading
>
>~~+-+-+       ---
>~~| | |       ---<
>~~+-+-+  and  --- \
>~~| | |       ---
>~~+-+-+       ---

I don't understand what the above is/means.....

>as "Windows" and "Menu", to me they're "Meta" and "Super", which is
>useful (to me, YMMV).  But I really would like the muhenkan, henkan,
>and hiragana keys to be gone, even though they're all bound to ASCII
>0x20.

I've never had a problem using an English keyboard for Japanese.  Even a
Japanese friend of mine said he prefers the English keyboard for writing
in Japanese.  One of my keyboards is a:

Compaq Computer Corporation FCC ID: GYUR86SK
Model: SK-2860
Compaq P/N: 122659-B36
Spare P/N: 123130-B31

(Why in the world there's a "spare" part number I have no idea, but
there it is.)  It's a good keyboard, with no extra J-keys but with the
Windows and Menu buttons.  Um.... what's "Meta" and "Super"?  A shortcut
to switch between users?

>If the memory modules were the same manufacturer, blame the
>manufacturer.  Not even Hitachi and Samsung modules get a free ride
>from the motherboard manufacturers---they have to go through rigorous
>testing before being certified as compatible.  Here in Japan the only
>problem I've ever had with memory is getting modules to fit computers
>built earlier than the year before, but apparently Hitachi, Toshiba,
>and NEC regularly dump bad batches in England, and people there will
>sometimes go through a half-dozen modules in a month (so they say,
>this is all hearsay, of course), getting stability only when the bad
>lot gets sold out.  Memory is a commodity product, so they say, but
>quality varies.

That's sort of good news for me - better to have a bad cheap part than a
mysterious mother board problem!