Re: [tlug] OpenOffice-1.2.2

Scott wrote:

>I've only played with the latest and greatest OpenOffice.  For day to
>day use, I use my FreeBSD version, which is 1.1.0.  They don't have a
>1.1.2 package available yet, and I think that even ports is only up to
>1.1.1
>
>I'm wondering if anyone else has used it, and if my subjective feeling
>that it opens up far more quickly than previous versions seems to be
>correct.  I didn't have an older version on any of my Linux boxen, so
>can't really compare--I don't know if the perceived speed is because of
>the new version or simply because the Linux version runs better than the
>FreeBSD one.
>
>I'd be idly curious if anyone else shares my impression or if it's due
>to any of the above mentioned (or other) coincidental factors.

Now that you mention it - I just tried opening up both 1.1.1 and 1.1.2,
and 1.1.2 does seem to open quite a bit more quickly (on SuSE 9.1
Professional)!  Another version I'm testing is a an early test version
of 2.0 (680), which has one very nice feature lacking in the current
main release - a very handy and effective Word Count that gives not only
overall statistics, but also word count for highlighted text.  People
have been clamoring for this for a long time!  There's a macro available
for the older versions, but I haven't tried it yet.

Lyle