Re: [tlug] 7/10 TLUG Technical Meeting - voice communication questions

--- David Santinoli <u235@example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 02:06:52AM -0700, Jake Morrison wrote:
> >
> > GSM is free and low bandwidth (around 5 kbps), but is low quality.
>
> Speaking of GSM 06.10, the bandwidth required is 13 kbit/s, not 5.

You are right. I was thinking that it was lower based on the quality
and
was too lazy to check. GSM is good enough for talking to your family
over the Internet, but is not good enough for a PSTN replacement,
which is what I was focusing on.

> Moreover, there's a freely available software implementation, true,
> but its mere existence does not imply no patent issues:

Right again. Sigh. Can you say "legal minefield" :-)
But in practice I have seen it implemented by a number of low-end
IP phones by Chinese companies who I strongly doubt were paying
royalties.