Re: [tlug] 7/10 TLUG Technical Meeting - voice communication questions

>> If the issue of VOIP to phone comes up,

Did I confuse things by saying "VOIP to phone".  I meant computer to
regular phone.

> Asterisk includes a SIP registrar and proxy, and it works pretty well.
> You also get things like voicemail, so it is a pretty good solution.
>
> With SIP, you can use a free registrar like Free World Dialup
> (http://www.freeworldialup.org/).

Yes, I see but ...
<clip>
Free World Dialup does not provide access to the traditional telephone
networks or cellular networks. FWD members can only call other FWD members
and select VoIP Services.
</clip>

>> Any suggested providers?  I've looked through
>> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Service+Providers a little but
>> found
>> 1)  monthly plans needed (I wouldn't call that much)
>> 2)  windows required
>> 3)  special phone or other hardware needed
>
> The only real requirement for a provider is connectivity to the
> legacy telephone system.

well looking at http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Service+Providers

under VOIP to/from PSTN services [PSTN = Public Switched Telephone Network
i.e. the phone service we use for every ordinary phone call.]

many of the providers do require special hardware etc...

For GnomeMeeting you need a quicknet linejack (what about $299.95) in
combination with a microtelco account (roughly $.03 -035/min or so).
Correct?

Anyone know of a way to get pc to phone calls without that piece of
hardware?  I am beginning to suspect that asterisk would require it as
well.

--
Shawn

Karma is immutable, so act accordingly!