[tlug] 7/10 TLUG Technical Meeting - voice communication questions

Hello,

I would dearly love to make the meeting but alas must go to Kyoto this
weekend.

If the issue of VOIP to phone comes up, would someone care to post some
notes to the list?  I know GnomeMeeting requires hardware and a service
provider to do it.  Is is possible without hardware with Asterisk?

Any suggested providers?  I've looked through
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Service+Providers a little but found
1)  monthly plans needed (I wouldn't call that much)
2)  windows required
3)  special phone or other hardware needed

Ideally it would be nice to be able to do it via my pc's headphone set
without a fixed monthly charge and no additional hardware needed.
Net2phone will do that if I boot into my now very dusty and dangerously
unpatched windows but...

Also looked at:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk