[tlug] OpenSSL and IDEA encryption algorithm

A certain Richard Straub from MediaCrypt wrote me a very civil mail this
morning informing me that the information on my LAMPS howto page regarding
the patent issues surrounding the IDEA encryption algorithm (patent of which
MediaCrypt is the holder) was incorrect.

The patent on the IDEA algorithms is not only in effect in the EU, but also
in the USA and Japan. The text in the howto has been updated accordingly.

    http://linux.sgms-centre.com/howto/lamps.php

If anyone here has used this howto in order to set up a server used
commercially, please bear in mind that doing so in the EU, the USA or Japan
*and* using the OpenSSL implementation of MediaCrypt's IDEA algorithms, but
without obtaining a license from MediaCrypt, is a violation of MediaCrypt's
patent.

Whether or not one agrees with the concept of software patents is another
matter altogether. Personally, I don't. However, they exist whether we like
it or not.

Thanks for your time.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.7-em8300)