Re: [tlug] Re: Japanese under Linux

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

>dstibbe wrote:
>

>>Why doesn't that make sense? I want all encodings to be UTF-8 so it
>>would make sense to specify it as ja_JP.UTF-8 instead of ja_JP.eucJP. It
>>is just that some'thing' has to be japanese in order for my kniput2 to
>>work . Preferrably I'd set no locales to ja_JP at all, but then my
>>kinput2 won't accept japanese chars :S
>>

>Well, it only makes sense if kinput2 requires the string ja_JP in
>LC_CTYPE to function.  And mine does not seem to require that at all.

Huh ...now your saying something completely different  than before .
Before you said :
"

If you set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 then setting LC_CTYPE to ja_JP.UTF-8
doesn't make sense (since the encoding already is UTF-8).
"

And yes. Somehow it requires that to function well . Dunno why though.

>But I guess XIM may require ja_JP to be either in LANG or LC_CTYPE.
>
>BTW, for GTK2 apps you may want to have a look at im-ja:
>http://im-ja.sf.net/
>

>>kterm doesn't seem to have a problem with it at all.
>>

>My kterm has.
>Try "LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 kterm", type "date" into it and look at the
>mojibake you get.

Tried it . Output of locale :
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8"