Re: [tlug] Japanese under Linux

Hello,

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:21:10 -0800, dstibbe <dstibbe@example.com>
wrote:

> I've almost worked it out with the following settings :
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP
> XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2
>
> and then :
> kinput2 -canna&
>
> Now with this I am capable of inputting Japanese text . But I do not
> WANT the locales at japanese (because then the menu of the program turns
> in Japanese) ! X-(  If I set the locale to english , I can't insert
> japanese .
>
> How can I keep my locales to english but yet still input japanese ?

Here is a possible quick solution to what you want.
I have this fragment in my .xinitrc file.

# The two commented out ones below make the system give japanese man
# pages and some apps also have Japanese menu bars
#export LC_ALL=ja_JP
#export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
#These setting lets me support Japanese but with Eng windows,etc..
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP
export LC_MESSAGE=en_US
export XMODIFIERS='@example.com=kinput2'
kinput2 -canna&