Re: [tlug] Japanese under Linux

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 02:51:28AM -0800, dstibbe wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I've been trying to get japanese input working under linux . So far I
> managed to get it working under kterm with 'kinput2 -canna' , but am not
> capable of getting it to work under other programs running on my KDE
> desktop. I read the articles on the website, but so far I haven't gotten
> it working ?  Any idea what I could be doing wrong ?

What other programs do you wish to use with it.
In many cases you might have to start these programs with the langx
script or a variation listed on the web site.

As you might be a newcomer, let me give a few guidelines for
information.

Firstly, don't top post, answer this (or other attempts to help) in
line, that is, answer the point you are discussing under the point in
the original email.  :)

Secondly, what did you try to do? For instance, did you simply start
mozilla and try to input Japanese?

Next, which articles did you read?  There are a few listed and we all
have our own quirks.  (I'm believe mine is one of the listed ones)

Also, which distribution of Linux are you using?  As you'll note from my
article at least, different distributions have different ways of of
referring to ja_JP.

For instance, did you read my article, use that langx script and try to
start something on Slackware 9.0 and have no luck?  In that case, it's
easy to say, ah, with Slackware up to 9.0 you have to add LC_ALL=ja_JP
to the langx script.

I believe that all of the authors listed are still on this list, so you
can probably get a bit more help if you're a little more specific.  This
is not criticism, (well, I guess it is, but it's constructive criticism)
however, it is necessary for us to have a bit more information before
helping you.

Thanks

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Buffy: She's playing you. She tried to kill you.
Angel: That was just. . . That was just a cry for help.
Buffy: A cry for help is when you say Help in a loud
voice.