Re: [tlug] Re: routing question

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:50:10 +0200
Tobias Diedrich <ranma@example.com> wrote:

> > "tcpdump  -i eth0" gives no output. Why?
>
> You probably don't have routing enabled (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward)
> or prohibit it using iptables (chain FORWARD).

Thanks Tobias,

I had ip_forward set to 1, but the mistake I made was an if-up.d script
that ran for each network device and flushed the zaurus FORWARD rules that
were set up just before.

While the current usbnet driver's help gives a slight hint about using a
bridge: "you can use 802.1d Ethernet Bridging (CONFIG_BRIDGE) to simplify
your network routing.", I found a patch to this driver in a mail at
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0404.1/0624.html
and there the updated help gives more explanation:

+ The link will appear with a name like "usb0", when the link is
+ a two-node link, or "eth0" for most Ethernet devices. Those
+ two-node links are most easily managed with Ethernet Bridging
+ (CONFIG_BRIDGE) instead of routing.
+
+ For more information see <http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/>.

The above link has enough details about bridging the zaurus, though I
didn't bother yet because the proper FORWARD rule does the job.

Now I can ping google and other sites from the terminal, but the wicked
browser on the Z (internetto Netfront 3.0) wants to connect to the
internet every time, eventhough it is connected.  Reminds me of what the
stupid IE does on windoze.

I tried fiddling with the network settings on the Z to set up a static
connection, but no luck yet. Maybe tomorrow.