Re: [tlug] Debian Sarge Beta Installer

On 6/28/2004, "Jonathan Byrne" <jq@example.com> wrote:

Muller>> returning to my Knoppix setup. I'm just curious as to whether
anyone
Muller>> has tried the new Sarge installer recently who can report
relatively
Muller>> smooth sailing.

[...]
Byrne>The Sarge installer is a big jump forward, but it's still pretty
rough.
Byrne>They have a lot of kinks to work out yet before it's ready for
releae.

Byrne>I never experienced any MBR problems, though.  How did it trash your
Byrne>MBR?

The last time I tried it was about four months ago, so my memory is a bit
fuzzy, but as I recall, it happened at the point where Sarge installs
grub/Lilo. I write this as either/or, because the install would hang up
there, without me being able to make a selection. Then, when trying to
reboot, the MBR would be wiped.

Since that time, I found a couple of nice MBR tools, so next time I try,
I should be able to at least keep my prior setup as long as I make a
backup. But I'll wait till the semester is over before grappling with
this...

I don't mind Knoppix, but eventually it always seems to get messed up
somewhere when I do apt-get upgrade, whereas on my machine at school
that has a straight Debian installation, nothing ever goes out of whack.

Chuck