Re: [tlug] My Amputated Leg Hurts: Transceiver State Has Changed to SE mode

Hi Edmund,
From: lists <lists@example.com>
Date:  Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:04:41 +0900

>I've got a low-end Dell Poweredge server sitting there running RHL 7.2 and
>merrily serving mail, and everything's great.
>
>Except that I've started getting a bunch of these messages in my system log:
># grep scsi /var/log/messages
>Jun 16 09:30:04 green kernel: scsi1: Transceiver State Has Changed to SE mode
>Jun 16 09:30:05 green kernel: scsi1: Transceiver State Has Changed to LVD mode
>Jun 16 09:30:15 green kernel: scsi1: Transceiver State Has Changed to SE mode
>Jun 16 09:30:15 green kernel: scsi1: Transceiver State Has Changed to LVD mode
>[skipped a bunch]
>Jun 17 16:37:47 green kernel: scsi1: Transceiver State Has Changed to SE mode
>Jun 17 16:37:49 green kernel: scsi1: Transceiver State Has Changed to LVD mode
>Jun 17 16:37:50 green kernel: scsi1: Transceiver State Has Changed to SE mode
>Jun 17 16:38:01 green kernel: scsi1: Transceiver State Has Changed to LVD mode
>
>As far as I know nothing's plugged into scsi1:
># cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>Attached devices:
>Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD0 RAID5 51834R Rev: 161J
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
>Anyone know what this might mean?
>
>Edmund Edgar
>
>--
>TLUG server is hosted by Open Source Development Lab Japan
>http://www.osdl.jp/

In SCSI-speak
is SE - Single Ended SCSI
and LVD - Low Voltage Differential SCSI
these are connectortypes
(there is, however, HVD High Voltage Differentital as well, but for the sake of simplicity and relevance we will skip that)

If you have an LVD controller it is possible that, if there is only one device attached, it wants to switch to SE mode.
In your case for whatever reason this switch does not seem to work.

Therefore, attaching a device might be the solution.

Cheers, Jan