Re: [tlug] <Alt>+<F2>

Quoth ben konrath:

> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:46:22AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
>> I just made the happy discovery that the keyboard shortcut <Alt>+<F2>
>> brings up the "Run Command" box.  First, my question to the experts - is
>> this something common to all distros (I'm on SuSE 9.1 Professional), or
>> does it vary from one distro to another?
>
> I'm not sure that I count as an expert, but the <alt><F2> combo brings
> up the run dialog with gnome 2.4 in Debian unstable. Right now I'm
> using gnome 2.6.1 compiled with garnome (a script that makes it easy to
> compile gnome) and the <alt><F2> combo brings up the run dialogue as
> well.

I am certainly not an ex-freepert either (only Steve Turnbull and B0ti are on
this list, AFAIK), but I can tell you that keybindings are handled by the
window manager, so they *can* differ based on whether you are running GNOME,
KDE, *box, xfce, fvwm, etc.

> I'm pretty sure that the default action for <alt><F2> in gnome 2 is the
> run dialog. Of course, it is possible to change the keyboard shortcuts in
> gnome, thus some distros may change this. Check out this article for more
> information on keyboard shortcut standardization:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/bin/view/Standards/default-keys-spec

Thanks for the link! I think I had better redo my .bbkeysrc based on this. :)

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103