Re: [tlug] dhcp-client question

Hi :)

thank you for email :)

* Stephen J. Turnbull (stephen@example.com) [040519 02:38]:
> since the previous reboot?  In that case it's quite possible that the
> binary package that you thought was logging had a buggy configuration
> that got fixed in the interim.

again, a good point. I did not think about this. But as a matter of
fact, I did not do any upgrade which would be significant.  So far I
assume that the dhclient-2.2.x binary from the following installed
package is responsible for the log entries (dhcp-client 2.0pl5-11).
And I am using debian stable distribution, without compiling things
myself, if this is what you mean by "binary distribution". Well, I do
not mean it as an offence, I am just not that familiar with the
terminology and I am not any advanced linux administrator. Sorry.
For this moment, I stick with the "lease time theory" :) I find it more
likely. If it fails, I will explore things further.

> BTW, if this experience makes you feel like you are not in control of
> the machine, then you never were.  In the end nobody is, anyway.  Be
> thankful for your enlightenment!

hehe, fair enough. I am aware of it and maybe I expressed myself in a
slightly misleading way. Of course I do not control every single bit
inside my pc. Even I do not know a lot from the point of view of an
experienced hacker. But I am 100% convinced, that it is possible for me
to find out what is going on if I get log entries and I want to know
why. It is somehow a part of my nature, that I am ready to spent years
in an attempt to trace the cause of the problem, not doing anything
else. But I believe I can learn step by step and finally find out.  I
find it to be this particular believe which make me use linux and not
windows.

As a final note let me say that yes, I am thankful for the enlightenment
and I am thankful every time I find an answer to my question after some
exciting adventure. :)

Best regards
Michal