RE: [tlug] Red Hat Japan

Lyle,

	I've worked with many variants of UNIX for the last 10 years or so
and about 2.5 years ago I attended the course that had the test (7.3)
included with it. I hadn't spent much time with Linux and had no idea how
difficult the test would be for someone who doesn't work with it regularly.
Since then, I've taken it twice and earned a RHCT for both 8 and 9 but not
RHCE.

	The key I believe to passing the RHCE, not surprisingly, is a lot of
familiarity with Red Hat (i.e. actual "hands on" experience) as they
mention. I found that my UNIX skills (Solaris, AIX, Tru64, etc.) didn't
necessarily translate to what is needed to pass the exam, but of course is
good background. I work in a large organization, specializing in certain
support areas - so someone that works in a smaller shop with a lot of
generalized, wide based (especially Internet/networking related) duties
would fare much better.

	Simply studying for the exam I don't think is the answer - I believe
it is important to have a couple of systems networked together (or possibly
VMware) so you can work on the actual networking aspects. If you have
broadband access, downloading Fedora www.fedora.redhat.com (optionally
buying a book with the media) or White Box Linux www.whiteboxlinux.org to
obtain RH Enterprise Linux is a good idea. There is also Red Hat
Professional Workstation, which provides RHEL with a year of update support
but lacks some of the server packages.

	From my experience I believe the certification is meaningful,
because it does represent demonstrated skills as opposed to rote
memorization. Since at work we are actually now starting to use Red Hat, I'm
going to feel comfortable with another attempt later this year. Hope my
suggestions are helpful and best of luck to you.

Mike