Re: [tlug] Is Linux Helping MS to make Windows better?

> Depends on whether you are an admin first or a collector-of-salary
> first.  Low purchasing cost -> the buck stops with the admin.  In many
> organizations the admin is already made responsible for many things he
> doesn't really have the authority to fix.  He doesn't want more.
[snip] Well, I'm an admin first, but I'm not the guy who is anywhere
near the yes/no decision on global deals driven out of our head office,
although we all have input in a consultation phase. Would I burn my job
because I didn't agree with a decision? No way - I have a family to
think of :) .  Maybe I didn't explain well on this. The way management
look at the purchasing and deployment of systems is that they're
hardwired to expect a certain level of cost, and if something doesn't
reach that they tend to think it's poor quality. I know this isn't
true, and obviously so do most tech people, but to a manger with a
budget, strangely it does. They're also trying to keep to a global
standard.

I guess where I'm driving this is how can companies move away from MS
to Linux. A friend of mine in the UK went from MS to Redhat
9/Openoffice in an office of 50 people and it went relatively smoothly.
For me, I have a LOT more users and machines (and other techies), and
links to different offices all over the world. I guess it's about
mindshare and understanding, but from my perspective, that's where the
challenge for Linux is. I managed to save the Macs by calmly making
gentle points over a few months, and by personally supporting them
(they didn't require hardly any).  So then, it's a 'toe in the door'
game plan, one Linux machine at a time to see how we can use these
boxes in better ways that MS. If you've paid for MS Select or similar,
there's virtually no incentive to move from MS if your PC team can
support them, and as has been posted, 2K and XP are better than their
predecessors.

I appreciate discussion in this forum though. I'm trying to learn more
about Linux on the technical side, but I'm also curious on the business
side for how a company - any company - could switch to Linux from a
long term MS installation.

Thanks for the input Stephen, it certainly made me think about a few
things I need to consider in the decision making chain.

--
My sites:

http://www.brightblack.net/
http://www.nanikore.net/