[tlug] Is Linux Helping MS to make Windows better?

So then, if MS is moving to a *nix-esque security system, that may be a
good thing for the 90% of the users around who need it; just as MS (and
KDE/Gnome) have borrowed from Apple in GUI design in years past, maybe
it is MS's turn to follow the rest on security (as Apple did with OS
X). The ultimate test though I suppose would be that if 90% of users
had Linux, would we see these virus outbreaks to such a large dregree?

As far as Windows management in these situations, we use Patchlink on
our servers, and along with McAfee/EPO, we seem to be surviving this
year's viruses quite well (touch wood!). For small offices, MS do
provide SUS and the Baseline Security application which is a freebie
which is better than nothing. Sorry :) I'm only mentioning this for
those who have WinOS machines and were getting nailed by patch
requirements. AD and such help, but on the Linux side, how would people
deal with something on this scale?  I ask as I only have a few Linux
machines to look after.

[off topic]
Has anyone else had chance to try Google mail? I was fortunate enough
to be invited into the beta as a friend of mine works for Google Japan,
and I have to say that it's a very sophisticated on-line mail system -
far better than Yahoo or hotmail.  I know there have been numerous
stories about privacy issues, but it seems OK as a system.

Anyway, back to preparing for my LPI 101 exam... :)

graham

--
Linux: Gentoo on a AMD XP 2000+
Windows: Windows XP on AMD XP 2500+