[tlug] NEC Aterm DR302 and SSH timeouts

Hi

I'm a Linux user in Tokyo (for the next couple of weeks anyway). This
is my first trip for a couple of years and it's very gratifiying to
see the spread of broadband (right down to having to regularly refuse
gifts of a cute stuffed toy and connection kit on the street ;-).

I'm using such a connection right now, with a piece of kit between me
and the Internet labelled "NEC Aterm DR302", which seems to be a
combined DSL modem (at least I presume it's DSL) and router on a Nihon
Telecom connection. Everything works fine except that idle SSH
sessions get timeouts after a while, which is turning intercontinental
server administration into a bit of a drag.

Does anyone know what the cause might be and how I can solve it?
(Would it possibly involve a stuffed toy? ;-)

Disclaimer: I've googled on the matter in Japanese and English and
haven't come up with anything, not in the TLUG archives either.

Thanks for any advice

Ian Barwick