[tlug] Re: Backing up DVDs

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> I'd prefer to do this from the CLI because it's more fun that way and faster
> once you know what you're doing, but I won't turn up my nose at a way to
> do it in k3b, either.  The main thing is to make sure little T and little
> J don't turn any original DVDs into little pieces :-)

You need something like decss to decrypt the stream and
something like M2VRequantiser:
http://www.metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/modules.html
Maybe "mplayer -dumpstream dvd://1" would do to decrypt the stream.
However, you need to demultiplex it "mplayer -dumpvideo dvd://1",
because m2vrequantiser only works on plain mpeg2 video streams.
Then you could remultiplex it with mplex and use dvdauthor to create a
working dvd, but losing the menus.
If you don't want to lose the menus, then I _guess_ you'd have to
decrypt the vob's, extract the video stream, process and remultiplex it
into the vob's.  However I never tried it so far.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
Be vigilant!