Re: [tlug] Fixing Thinkpad for Linux

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:25:45PM -0700, Gerald Naughton wrote:

>When contact IBM , they request 5-70000 yen to get
>it fixed(it has happen before , they needed to replace
>video card)

That appears to be a Japan-only model, correct?  I couldn't
find even one listing for a Thinkpad 1620 on eBay, which is
often a good source of Thinkpads and parts.  However, looking
at http://www-6.ibm.com/jp/pc/thinkpad/tpi16215/tpi16215a.html
indicates the machine is only a PIII-600.  I don't know what
used Tpad prices are like in Japan these days, but on eBay
you could buy a whole machine - and a faster one, such as
a T20, T2, or maybe even a T22, in that price range.  Not
all sellers will ship to Japan, but some will.  You'd be
giving up the Japanese keyboard, if that's important to you.

If you really like the model, your best bet is probably to just
buy another 1620 and either keep the one you have now as a
parts source, or sell it as-is for whatever you can get.

It would be hard to find a cheaper place, I suspect, because most
of the cost of that repair is the high price of the part from IBM.
If you could find a used one, replacing it yourself would not
be difficult, or if you don't feel confident to take that on,
some used parts dealers will also install the part for a fee.

I have a couple of Thinkpad 600s, and if other models are like these,
fixing them can't be that hard.  If you can build your own desktop
machine, all you need to work on a Thinkpad is some jeweler's screwdrivers
(some Thinkpads also require Torx screwdrives, I've heard) and the IBM
repair manual.  Most, if not all, IBM repair manuals can be downloaded
from IBM as a PDF.

For IBM's price, especially if it has failed before, though, I'd replace
the machine.  It might have some chronic problem causing these failures.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9