Re: [tlug] libusb and plustek sane-backend (1.0.13)

Quoth Godwin Stewart (Wed 2004-04-21 09:37:54AM +0200):

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:58:18 -0400, Josh Glover <tlug@example.com> wrote:
>
> > You can wuss out like I did and enable OSS support in the kernel
> > (deprecated as it may be).
>
> Quite frankly, I couldn't care less if it's deprecated. I'm happy if
> something close to what I was expecting comes out of the sound card,
> although I am going to be using the box for direct-to-disk audio recording
> in the not too far future so maybe I ought to look into this :)

I share your opinions, for the most part. The only interest I have in
ALSA is that if I can get it set up now, then I won't have to do it
when Linux 3.0 finally removes all traces of OSS support! ;)

> Tip: Audacity is a mean audio editing app.
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Yes, I concur.

I wrote the software that drives our IVR platform at work, which consists
of three machines which each have a quad-T1 NMS card. A T1 can handle 24
simultaneous channels, one of which must be used for ISDN signalling (and
is called the data channel, or D-channel), leaving 23 lines for voice
calls. 23 * 4 = 96 potential simultaneous voice calls per card.

The point of all of this is that Audacity was great when I needed to
record voice prompts for several test programs, the "press 1 if you are
a BOFH, 2 if you are a cluebie, 9 if you are a arrogant newbie who needs
to be drug out and shot" type things. :)

> > > High priority is getting the fscking scanner working.
> >
> > Glad that someone was able to help you, and make you look the fool at the
> > same time! :-P
>
> I'm biding my time :)

Sorry, that was a bit offside, wasn't it. :)

> At least they didn't start hitting the animal but they will do later today,
> almost certainly. Hitting the dog and tying him up with a leash so short he
> can't even lie down without hanging himself is not a way to treat an animal
> IMO and it makes me seethe with rage that people could be so thoughtless and
> unkind.

I share your views. In my case, it probably has something to do with growing
up on a farm *and* having an aunt and uncle who are veterinarians.

Hey, maybe we should start the TSPCA! ;)

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103