Re: [tlug] HTML app packager?

"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:
>> Firstly, Jim, a huge Thank You for the WWWJDIC dictionary! There is no
>> way I can adequately express how useful that is and how much I
>> appreciate it.

Aw shucks.

>> Doubly so now that I don't have access via Linux to the
>> set of (expensive) installable dictionaries I bought over the years for
>> MS computers.

There are a number of EB readers for Linux in various states of GUI-dom.
AFAIK they work pretty well with most recent dictionaries. My only
failure was the 5th ed. Koujien which seems to have been encrypted and
only wants to work with the Whindoze and Mac programs that come on the
CD.

I use an old text EB program call "dic" (inspired name that one). I use
it to drive the Koujien (4th ed.), Kenkyusha Chuujiten, Readers and
Daijirin. I could also use it on the Kodansha GJD and a Kagaku Jiten,
but I prefer text versions of them.

Speaking of Kenkyusha, the new 5th edition is online for ~Y500/mo. I
bought a paper copy last year when it came out for
<shudder>Y18,000</shudder>, but shelled out for the online service as
well, because the one month free trial sucked me in.

>> I haven't requested a hard-drive based dictionary from you
>> myself, but if you develop one, I'll be tripping some people and bonking
>> others on the head in an effort to be first in line for it. Initially, I
>> avoided on-line dictionaries due to the cost of being on-line, but the
>> new issue for me is that I'd like to be able to use it on some off-line
>> workstations. Since they are never on-line, they can't use the current
>> system at all. And yes, some of them are MS boxes.... which is one
>> reason they're off-line! What better security than the law of physics.

Well, you can do almost everything that WWWJDIC does on Linux with xjdic or
gjiten.

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 9554