Re: [tlug] Slackware 9.1 and Japanese printing

Quoth Paul Taka:

> Anyway, I'd like to make it works with ghostscript, because I use to use
> a2ps to print from Mozilla. It would be more practical.
> I think I'm doing an HUGE error somewhere...

It could be that your version of Ghostscript is not built with CJK support.
From the Gentoo ebuild, it would seem that you might need these character
maps:

http://www.matsusaka-u.ac.jp/mirror/gs-cjk/adobe-cmaps-200204.tar.gz
http://www.matsusaka-u.ac.jp/mirror/gs-cjk/acro5-cmaps-2001.tar.gz

These patches:

http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/gentoo-portage/app-text/ghostscript/files/gs7.05.6-cjk.diff
http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/gentoo-portage/app-text/ghostscript/files/gs7.05.6-kochi-substitute.patch

And these fonts:

arphicfonts
kochi-substitute (probably the only ones you need for Japanese)
baekmuk-fonts

The ebuild does the following to build Ghostscript:

1. Unpacks ghostscript source
2. Unpacks patches (see above)
3. patch gs7.05.6-cjk.diff
4. patch gs7.05.6-kochi-substitute.patch
5. Build and install as usual (./configure && make && make instll)
6. mkdir /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource
7. cd /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource
8. tar xvzf adobe-cmaps-200204.tar.gz
9. tar xvzf acro5-cmaps-2001.tar.gz

> Yes, I had seen this doc on TLUG website.
> I think I will try first im-ja as IME (though I'm WindowMaker user :)

The author of im-ja is also a member of this list, making it an especially
good choice! :)

>>Now this, mon ami, is the correct way to ask a question on this list!
>>Others
>>should take note of how the OP
>>
>>1. Googled
>>2. Explained exactly what he has tried, and posted the (albeit stupid)
>>    Ghostscript error.
>>
>>Paul, with your attitude, I think you will enjoy this list! :)
>
> Oh... Maybe it's ironic (I'm not native English speaker as you can see...).
> But I really searched with Google web/groups (maybe I don't use it
> correctly...) and I'd like to have longer error message to know what's wrong
> :)

Nope, not a trace of irony. The way you asked for help is exactly right, and
almost guaranteed to get results on this list. I commented to use you as a
good example! :)

And yes, the Ghostscript error is criminal. Only a Ghostscript developer would
have a chance of understanding that.

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103