Re: [tlug] Restarting a dead DNS lookup

Quoth Stephen J. Turnbull (Mon 2004-04-19 12:59:22PM +0900):

> That's the bug.  :-)  However, in turns out to be relatively recent
> (Red Hat 9 or so).  But go ahead, try starting ncsd by hand anyway.

>     Jan Harkes> On the other hand there is a libc/resolver problem on
>     Jan Harkes> RedHat 9, maybe other systems as well. According to
>     Jan Harkes> the manpage, using anything like res_query or
>     Jan Harkes> res_search will implicitly initialize the
>     Jan Harkes> resolver. However on RedHat 9 this doesn't happen
>     Jan Harkes> (correctly) and in fact leaves libresolve in a badly
>     Jan Harkes> configured state.
>
>     Jan Harkes> What I noticed was that it would only send queries to
>     Jan Harkes> a locally running nameserver cache daemon and never
>     Jan Harkes> actually try to talk to the configured DNS
>     Jan Harkes> servers. The solution on that particular machine was
>     Jan Harkes> to simply start nscd as root, and it will run in the
>     Jan Harkes> background and handle the name lookups correctly.
>
>     Jan Harkes> So as root, start the 'nscd' binary and venus might
>     Jan Harkes> just start working again.

Nasty!!! A caching nameserver daemon might be a good item for performance
reasons, but it sure as hell should not be *required* for DNS lookups!

Good 'ol Red Hat, their way or the highway, I guess. :(

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103