[tlug] Auto-detect (Was Option City)

>I have found that most cameras format their flash memory using the FAT file
>system, so I stick a line like this in my /etc/fstab:
>
>/dev/sda1               /mnt/camera     vfat    noauto,rw,user  0 0
>
>And make sure I have compiled the following kernel modules:
>
>vfat
>fat
>usb-storage
>sd_mod
>scsi_mod
>uhci
>usbcore
>
>Then, I can just attach my camera via USB, turn it on and issue:
>
>mount /mnt/camera
>
>And I can now deal with the JPGs on the flash memory just like any other
>files on any other file system.
>
>And verily, this is the Unix Way.

This brings up an interesting question for me - how radically different
are the different distros?  With SuSE, right from the start (immediately
following the install I mean), it auto-detects USB devices and - as you
put it "...deal[s] with the JPGs on the flash memory just like any other
files on any other file system."  I take it from your tips (thank you,
I'll file that and it may come in useful at some point), that your
distro didn't auto-detect and didn't deal with .jpg files without the
changes.  I realize that over-automation is one of the more dangerous
aspects to the buggy software from a certain illegal mainstream software
company, but how about with SuSE - does the extra automation offered
"out of the box" cause security issues?