Re: [tlug] shell question

On Apr 16, 2004, at 4:03 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Alain> And for those of us with a penchant for even more niche
>     Alain> programming languages....
>
>     Alain>
> http://samsara.bebear.net/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/al/rublog.cgi/scripts/
>     Alain> changing_lines_in_files.html
>
> Wow!  Whoever thought up that syntax must be systematically bent!
> To each his own, of course, but I'd rather write Perl, I think!
>
> One of the things I like about Python is that the language is
> _designed_.  It may not to be your taste, and that's fine.  As Larry
> Wall says, there's always more than one way to do things.  But with
> Python, once I started to grok pythonicity, the new language features
> just seem to grow naturally (no like-moss-or-mold jokes, please) out
> of the language.  YMWV.
>
> fortunately-theres-always-intercal-ly y'rs,

I've had the same experience programming ruby.

For the most part, I like Python for the same reasons and it appeals to
me aesthetically in a very similar way as Ruby. I just find it very
unfortunate that the designers chose to have white space assume so
significant a role in the syntax of the language.  Seems like the
mistakes of Makefile structure all over again.

									Cheers,
									Bruce