Re: [tlug] Restarting a dead DNS lookup

    Jim> (a) every so often (maybe once every 3 weeks on average) the
    Jim> DNS support on my RH7.3 system quietly dies. The ISP's DNS
    Jim> servers are still there, I can still get packets out to hosts
    Jim> I address by IP address, /etc/resolv.conf is OK, but I can't
    Jim> resolve any addresses.

Red Hat sux[tm].

I'm not sure which versions of Red Hat were affected but in some
versions the "best glibc available" (by Red Hat's own modest appraisal
-- anybody here remember Adrian Havill?  Uli Drepper just chuckled)
had a nasty bug in the nscd (not "Network Service CD ripper", name
service cache daemon).  Try restarting it.  There's more info on the
Coda (distributed file system) ML at www.coda.cs.cmu.edu, I don't
recall whether they had a decent search facility, if not I'll grep my
archive for you later.