Re: [tlug] ResiserFS + sudden poweroff = problem

    patrick> It was easily fixed running fsck from a gentoo boot disk
    patrick> (which played back the journal), but I had assumed such a
    patrick> thing to happen automatically.

Think about what you're saying.  You have a system in known abnormal
state, and you want it to boot and conduct a dangerous operation (any
fsck that changes disk state is dangerous, even if it's just replaying
the journal, which could itself be corrupted) without operator
intervention?  Not to mention that the kind of breakage you describe
can only occur with the operator present (I'm assuming you have a UPS,
of course)?

    patrick> Any way to ensure a clean restart without manual
    patrick> intervention?

No.  There never is when you have a system with a single point of
failure.  Some things aren't worth doing; this is one of them.

If you really need failsafe here, buy an identical system, and arrange
for automatic mirroring and failover.