[tlug] EditPad Pro Newsletter

I will try not to make a habit of putting large blocks of text in here
like the following newsletter, but I think some of you might be
interested in this.  I'm not very skillful with computers on the
software end (lots of experience on the hardware end though), but one
thing I have invested countless hours on is trying out various software
for the editing of text.  In my case that means editing and writing of
English, not computer code, but still....  Of all the programs I've
used, none has saved me more time than EditPad Pro - so... I'm including
their latest newsletter in here.  I highly recommend it as a fantastic
writing tool.  I earlier reported a copy-paste issue, but I've since
learned that that is an issue between applications with SuSE (same with
all Linux distros?) and not peculiar to EditPad Pro.

Anyway - here is the newsletter, which also explains other software from
the same organization:

JGsoft Newsletter  --  March 2004
=================================

Contents
========

1. Updated: EditPad Pro 5.3.0
2. Updated: PowerGREP 2.2.0
3. More Great Software: ResTuner and PE Explorer

Updated: EditPad Pro 5.3.0
==========================

EditPad Lite and  Pro version 5.3.0 are now available  for download, for
both Microsoft Windows and Linux.

EditPad Lite  5.3.0  fixes  a  number  of  minor  bugs.    Please  check
http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlitehist.html for a complete list.

EditPad Pro  5.3.0 adds  built-in syntax  coloring for  Visual Basic.NET
and  JavaScript  (as  standardized  by  the  ECMA,  and  also  known  as
ECMAScript).   If  you  are presently  using  a  custom syntax  coloring
scheme  for those,  you  may want  to switch  to  the built-in  schemes.
Built-in schemes perform much better when editing large files.

Version  5.3.0 also brings  an  updated regular expression  engine.   An
important change is that \s,  which matches whitespace, now also matches
line break characters.  This brings  EditPad Pro in line with most other
popular regex flavors.

When doing a search and replace  in regular expression mode, both $1 and
\1 are now interpreted as a reference  to the first capturing group.  \$
and $$  are now interpreted  as a single dollar  sign.  A  single dollar
not followed  by a digit  is interpreted as a  literal dollar sign.   To
control the case  of the inserted text,  you still need to  use the \u1,
\L1, \i1 and \f1 notations.

The regular  expression engine now  supports possessive  quantifiers, as
described       at       http://www.regular-expressions.info/atomic.html
Possessive  quantifiers allow  the regex  engine to  fail more  quickly,
speeding up the search.  The  speed-up can be significant when designing
custom syntax  coloring schemes.   I  have updated my  own PHP  and Perl
schemes to use possessive quantifiers.

The custom  syntax coloring scheme editor  has also been updated  to use
the new  regex engine.   Older  versions of EditPad  Pro will  refuse to
open schemes  created  with the new  editor,  to make sure  that  use of
possessive  quantifiers does  not cause  errors.   So, do  make sure  to
upgrade to EditPad Pro 5.3.0, and  version 2.1.0 of the scheme editor if
you want to create your own syntax coloring schemes.

You can  find the download instructions  for EditPad Pro and  the scheme
editor  in the  email with  your EditPad  Pro license  details that  you
received when  purchasing EditPad Pro.

If you have  not yet purchased EditPad Pro,  you can do so  now for only
US$ 39.95 at http://www.editpadpro.com/buynow.html

EditPad Pro 5  is a major upgrade from version  4, with many interesting
new abilities  and improvements, that  make EditPad Pro  more convenient
than ever.  An indispensable  tool for anybody  who regularly  edits any
kind of text files. If you purchased  EditPad Pro version 4, but did not
yet upgrade to version 5, you can  buy version 5 at the discounted price
of US$ 24.95 at http://www.editpadpro.com/upgradenow.html

Updated: PowerGREP 2.2.0
========================

PowerGREP 2.2.0 is now available  for download.  This version introduces
the same changes to the regular  expression engine as EditPad Pro 5.3.0,
described  in the previous  topic.  Both products have  always  used the
same  regex  engine.   PowerGREP  2.2.0  now  also has  built-in  syntax
coloring for Visual Basic.NET and JavaScript.

PowerGREP 2.2.0  also fixes a  critical bug when  encountering password-
protected Microsoft  Word documents.   PowerGREP will now  properly skip
password-protected Word documents,  and indicate that is has  done so in
the results.   Previously, PowerGREP would  try to decode  the scrambled
Word document and crash.

If you did not buy PowerGREP yet,  you can do so now for only US$ 99  at
http://www.powergrep.com/buynow.html     You  can buy directly  from us,
online  with a  credit  card,  or through  one  of  our resellers  using
various online and traditional payment methods.

If you have already  purchased  PowerGREP,  you can download  this free
update  from http://www.powergrep.com/download.html   A  free evaluation
version is available from that page as well.

For a  detailed list of all changes  made in this  and previous updates,
please see http://www.powergrep.com/history.html

Updated: HelpScribble 7.3.0
===========================

HelpScribble 7.3.0  is now  available for download.   Several  minor yet
very useful features were added.

HelpTools|Link to File  is an easy way  to link to an  external file you
plan to  distribute along  with your help  file, such as  a PDF  or Word
document.  You can  link to any kind of file that  is associated with an
application on  the reader's computer.   (E.g.  links to PDF  files need
Acrobat or Acrobat Reader to be installed.)

HelpTools|Embed Flash  enabled you to  embed Flash animations  into your
HTML Help and  Web Help projects.  When compiling  into HTML Help format
(.chm file),  the .swf Flash file will  be compiled into  the .chm file.
Therefore you do not need to distribute it along with the .chm file.

The  ability to  embed Flash  animations  is most  useful if  you use  a
specialized tool  to  easily create self-running  demonstrations  of the
software you  are documenting.   If  a feature  is particularly  hard to
describe,  simply record a  demonstration  and embed it  into  your help
file.   In the next  section, I will present  two excellent tools  to do
this.

Pressing Ctrl+Z on the keyboard will  now only undo the very last change
you  made, as  in most  Windows software.   Ctrl+Shift+Z  will undo  all
changes to the last topic, as Ctrl+Z previously did.

If you have  already purchased HelpScribble, you can  download this free
update from http://www.helpscribble.com/download.html

If  you did  not buy  HelpScribble yet,  you  can do  so for  US$ 99  at
http://www.helpscribble.com/buynow.html    You  can  buy  directly  from
JGsoft, online with a credit card.   You can also buy through one of our
resellers using various online and traditional payment methods.

For a  detailed  list of all  changed  made in this  update,  please see
http://www.helpscribble.com/history.html

You  can  download   a  free  evaluation  version   of  HelpScribble  at
http://www.helpscribble.com/download.html

More Great Software: ResTuner and PE Explorer

In the "More  Great Software" section of our monthly  newsletter, I will
present you a variety of  software applications, tools and games created
by other companies  or even individuals. The only constant  will be that
all  software I  recommend  will be  of  the same  high  quality as  the
software I design myself.

Heaventools develops and publishes two  excellent tools for looking into
and even altering  Windows executable files. These  tools offer exciting
possibilities, even if you are not a programmer.

If you are  not a programmer, check  out Resource Tuner. It  is the only
product of its  kind that is specifically  designed for non-programmers.
"Resources" are  the part  of a Windows  application that  determine how
the application presents  itself on the screen. This  includes the forms
or  windows, images, text,  sound,  etc. Resource Tuner  enables  you to
customize any application by editing and replacing resources.

Replace text, images,  sounds etc. in any application  to personalize it
to your  own unique taste.  Give  older applications the  new Windows XP
look  in  just   one  click  (Windows  XP  required).     Translate  any
application, without help from the developers.

See   http://www.more-great-software.com/restuner.html#restuner  for   a
more detailed description about  all the exciting possibilities ResTuner
gives you.  No programming skills required!

If you are  a programmer, PE Explorer is a  powerful tool for inspecting
the  inner workings  of your  own  software, and  more importantly,  3rd
party applications and libraries for which  you do not have source code.
PE  Explorer   combines  a   powerful  resource   editor,  disassembler,
dependency walker,  API syntax  explorer, and more!   All  integrated in
one convenient tool.

See   http://www.more-great-software.com/restuner.html#pe  for  a   more
detailed description  how you  can use PE  Explorer to  analyze software
and libraries  for which you  do not have  source code, and  inspect and
tweak the inner workings of software.

That's it for this month.  Thank you for using our software, and see
you next month!

Kind regards,
Jan Goyvaerts.

P.S.:  If you  know  somebody who  might  be interested  in  any of  the
information  presented  in  this  newsletter,  feel  free  to  use  your
email software's "forward" function to send them a copy.