Re: [tlug] Red Hat dropping MySQL

On Monday 15 March 2004 04:53 pm, Blomberg David wrote:

> later this week.  If so maybe you cvould ask them why they would be so
> (being polite) "backwards" as to drop MySQL even after they fixed their
> License to allow PHP libs without problems

The article says it's not because of the licensing issue, and I think we can
spell the reason why the are doing it "O-R-A-C-L-E."  Oracle is obviously
feeling some pressure from FLOSS databases as they get better and better.
MySQL and Postgresql are good and fast, and a lot of people who chose Oracle
years ago could now choose something else.    Some may even choose the
one-time cost and pain of migration off of Oracle and onto MySQL or
Postgresql to get the long-term cost savings.

No mention was made of Postgreql, does RHEL not include it?

Jonathan