Re: Fwd: [tlug] Re: Suse blues-progress?

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:08:05AM +0900, paul arenson wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2004 08:02, Scott wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 07:50:52AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> > > A couple of things from my side:
> > > (I'm getting "command not found" for a lot of the suggestions.)
> >
> > What might be happening here is that you're doing su
> > or sudo.  In that case, you'll have the normal user's path, for example,
> > /usr/bin/ /usr/local/bin/ blah blah.
> >
> > Some of these commands are in /usr/sbin  or /sbin/  (the bin is for
> > binaries and IIRC the s is for system binaries.  Most /sbin/ and
> > /usr/sbin commands are supposed to only be run by root.
> >
> > If you're getting command not found then do su -
> >

> Well, When I type  su - I only get
>
> arenson@example.com:~> su -
> Password:
> usen-221x242x10x37:~ #

Well, then you would type the commands listed--I think this was Lyle who
first mentioned getting command not found.  I offered the su - as a
possible remedy for that situation.

I haven't been following the thread closely--what su - does is not only
switch you to root but also gives you root's environment.  A simple su
on the other hand, switches you to root but you are keeping much of your
own environment, including the path to various commands.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Anya: I swear, I am just trying to find my necklace.
Willow: Well, did you try looking inside the sofa in hell?