Re: Fwd: [tlug] Re: Suse blues-progress?

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 08:02, Scott wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 07:50:52AM +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> > A couple of things from my side:
> >
> > linux:/home/lyle # cannastat
> > bash: cannastat: command not found
> > linux:/home/lyle #
> >
> > (I'm getting "command not found" for a lot of the suggestions.)
>
> What might be happening here is that you're doing su
> or sudo.  In that case, you'll have the normal user's path, for example,
> /usr/bin/ /usr/local/bin/ blah blah.
>
> Some of these commands are in /usr/sbin  or /sbin/  (the bin is for
> binaries and IIRC the s is for system binaries.  Most /sbin/ and
> /usr/sbin commands are supposed to only be run by root.
>
> If you're getting command not found then do su -
>
> The - gives you root's actual environment, including the $PATH which
> will include /sbin

Well, When I type  su - I only get

arenson@example.com:~> su -
Password:
usen-221x242x10x37:~ #

What do I type after that?

By the way--different question-- looking at your FAQ, I saw something about
typing program names in the command line.  I downloaded (well, it was
supposedly installed from the disk) Flight Gear.

I don't know how to locate it (I don't know which directory and just enetring
in FIND doesn't bring it up.

SO I tried the following on the command line.

arenson@example.com:~> flightgear &
bash: flightgear: command not found
[1] 3143
[1]   Exit 127                flightgear
arenson@example.com:~> flight gear &
bash: flight: command not found
[1] 3146
[1]   Exit 127                flight gear

But not sure what that means.

Thanks,

Paul

--