Re: [tlug] B2B e-mail solicitation response

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 02:41:03 +0100, <patrick.niessen@example.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> from time to time my company receives e-mail solicitation to e-mail
> adresses
> stated on our website.  Of course they are a kind of spam mail as we did
> not
> ask to be contacted, and because they send out this mail to various
> addresses on our site without verifying the appropriate recipient.  (We
> need
> those e-mail addresses, for marketing / customer service reasons, so I
> cannot just remove them and replace by bitmaps).
>
> Do you think it is legitimate (as in fair / appropriate), for IT service
> companies to contact us in this way.

no, but is there a way for them to verify the appropriate recipient?

  Are they as bad as certain other
> SPAM
> messages?

No ,if the services they provide really could really be of interest to
your company.  But then again they should try to verify the appropriate
recipient first.

> How would you respond to the sender?  In the past I used something like
> this:
>
>> Dear Mr. XXX,

We have recieved unsolicited e-mail from your company and would ask that
you please remove all our Domain's e-mail addresses from the files used to
make such solicitations as the addresses to which you are sending are not
appropriate avenues to obtain business with us.

<you could or ask them to check the contact (mail address/telephone -nah)
information listed on your website (I mean could it be possible they have
a legitimate product/service for you???) or you could just leave it up to
them to contact you trying to figure out how to do it appropriately>

Should we receive further mail of this nature from you; we ,
unfortunately, will find it necessary to initiate
e-mail abuse complaint procedures with your provider.  We appreciate your
understanding in this manner.

--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/