[tlug] Managing Windows [was: KDE 3.2 in SId, but...]

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 13:55:14 -0800, "Jonathan Byrne" <jq@example.com>
said:
> Now, I hate to say anything good about Microsoft, but not much of my
> criticism of them falls upon their UI.

Huh? I find that a fascinating viewpoint. I mean it is interesting to
hear statements that completely contradict my own beliefs -- always a
chance to learn something. Granted, I am really inexperienced when it
comes to Windows.

Personally, I start foaming at mouth every time I am forced to use the
Windows UI. Why must I click with the mouse to focus? It's like being
forced to blink your eyes before they focus. Why must the focused window
be the top window? Why is there no easy way to tell the top window to
lower itself?

Oh yes, almost forgot my personal favorite (NOT) which has driven me up
the wall several times: Why can I not move a window that has opened a
modal dialog?

When working with Windows I always get the feeling that it was designed
to slow me down to keep me from overloading the computer. Just like
(according to the urban legend) QWERTY-keyboard keys are ordered the way
they are to slow typists down.

Hmm. Maybe you ment that proportionally not much of your criticism of
Microsoft falls upon their UI. Then I would understand. ;-)

And to introduce a more Linux related subject: Can anyone recommend a
window manager that knows how to keep a window's position in the stack of
windows when moving or resizing it? I know fvwm does, but are there
others? I.e. I feel that moving or resizing a window should not raise a
window. In my experience very few window managers allow you to separate
moving or resizing from raising.

Cheers,
Semi