Re: [tlug] Suse blues

> To get this to work globally, you would need to put the LANG and the
> LC_MESSAGES initializations in "the right place" but this is
> distro-specific.
>
> The right place?  You don't mean in the terminal?

according to http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/locales-sysconfig.html

The system wide default values for the locale specific environment
variables can be set in the file /etc/sysconfig/language

For example if you want to make Japanese with UTF-8 encoding the system
wide default for all locale categories and want to use the same default
for the root account, you can put

     RC_LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8"
     RC_LC_ALL=""
     RC_LC_MESSAGES=""
     RC_LC_CTYPE=""
     RC_LC_COLLATE=""
     RC_LC_TIME=""
     RC_LC_NUMERIC=""
     RC_LC_MONETARY=""
     ROOT_USES_LANG="yes"

into /etc/sysconfig/language.

Please note that:

This file contains variables with the RC_ prefix added to the names of the
locale specific environment variables and one additional variable
ROOT_USES_LANG which can be set to ``yes'', ``no'' or ``ctype''. ``yes''
means the root user gets the same locale settings by default as any other
user, ``no'' means the root user will use the POSIX locale only, ``ctype''
means the root user will get the same effective default value for LC_CTYPE
as other users but use POSIX for all other language specific environment
variables.

> Do I actually open up the terminal (Konsole) and type
>
>   FIRST LINE  export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP in ~/.bashrc  ENTER KEY
> SECOND LINE export LC_MESSAGES=en_US.iso8859-15

see above

--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/