Re: [tlug] Copying a DAT drive

On Wednesday, March 3, 2004, at 01:24  PM,
patrick.niessen@example.com wrote:
> Ideal would be a kind of image copy, ie. I don't want the Unix server
> admin
> to notice any  difference if he ever needs to restore from the tape.

Take a look at 'dd' -- that's likely to be the answer you want.  Using
dd you can do bulk binary copy from a file (device) to some other
location.  Sometimes used to block copy floppy boot images from an .img
file to the floppy itself, as shown in the example from RedHat:
dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k # copy from file boot.img to file
/dev/fd0

Larry Stanbery, RHCE
GPG Key ID: 2CEFA662