Re: [tlug] Suse blues

> I realize you want it to just work.  I have page about inputting
> Japanese in various distributions--of course, SuSE isn't really covered
> as I haven't used it in a long time, but perhaps it might be of
> use--it'll be a bit more reading than you feel like doing, but it's
> actually not that complex.  I like to think that my page is helpful to
> the beginner as well.  It's at
>
> http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

Nice one! I actually maintain one of those as well, but only for Gentoo,
and it only covers uim for Japanese support. I only wanted to cover
methods that depend on libanthy instead of a backend server, though
apparently im-ja can do this as well.

I think it's a shame that we still have to mess about with these
settings though... Each window manager should have some way of setting
LC_ALL, LANG and LANGUAGE without bothering the user with details like
these. And it's high time that QT starts supporting switchable input
methods like GTK2, which eliminates the need for env vars altogether. If
there are any KDE developers here, consider it a challenge. :D

-David