Re: [tlug] Suse blues

I use SuSE 9.0 sucessfully with Japanese support my IBM Thinkpad
X30. It is pretty simple to setup Japanese compared to former
versions.

My environment is set to German, so I had to use Unifont in order to
use German "Umlaute". Therefore I wrote into ~/.profile

export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8

There is a file calles ~/.xim-template  which I renamed into ~/.xim
and modified the two lines at the end as follows:

export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna &

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 12:15, paul arenson wrote:
> But I am stuck.  Having installed Linux in English and then
> trying to activate Japanese, I have only managed to get Kana but
> no Kanji.

Maybe you did not install all the necessary fonts. I just installed
all Japanese / Asian fonts from the DVD. For printing japanese Text
you also need Japanese fonts for ghostscript.

Maybe some of my hints are helpful. Please feel free to ask if there
should be remaining questions.

Best Regards
Matthias