Re: [tlug] Who do you recommend for Business Desktop?

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 01:10:53AM +0100, patrick.niessen@example.com wrote:

>data is kept on a server, so my requirements for large hdd are limited.  I
>avoid the drives to prevent data theft by employees and unauthorised

Heheh, a CD-ROM drive can be put into a Dell in seconds, with no tools ;-)
If they really want to get you, they will, although of course the lack of
drives will discourage at least the casually opportunistic, although
the overall effect is kind of like a lock: it will keep honest people
honest, but  determined thief will only be slowed down a little.

While Dell will sell machines with no CD-ROM drives (we had some of those
at my employer in Viet Nam), the wiring harness is still in place.  When
I opened one up to put a CD-ROM in my boss's machine, all I had to do
was plug in the power and data cables which were already positioned at
the back of the bay and snap it into place and put the cover back
down.  Totally toolless.  A pretty well-engineered machine.  That's why
it reminded me of old SPARCstations.

And of course, if the machine has a Firewire or USB port, they don't even
need to install a burner, just bring an external unit along and copy
whatever they want.  For the really paranoid, will Dell ship machines
without USB ports?

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9