Re: [tlug] Re: Block Banner Ads & Web Bugs

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:46:28PM +0100, Tobias Diedrich wrote:

>But blocking banner ads is nice too, I use squid and adzapper for that.

Perhaps, but I don't bother with that because:

A) I have a ton of bandwidth, so it isn't worth the effort;

B) People who run sites do need to pay the bills, and those are mostly
paid through advertising.  Banners are not so intrusive that I object
to them.  I do, however, refuse all cookies by default, and always
refuse all cookies from ad servers.

C) Once in a while, I see something intersting enough on the banner
that I actually click it.  I've even wound up buying something that way
once or twice.

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9