[tlug] rpcbind --needed?

Hello,

Not so critical but I did a port scan on my computer and show

111/tcp   open  rpcbind

which is I guess is related to portmap and/or nfslock

I am not using nfs or nis and so feel like I don't it or them but read
that:

"fam uses portmap" --  FAM helps make GUI tools more usable by notifying
them when the files they're interested in are created, modified, executed,
and removed

Since I am not as clever as Dr. Turnbull and use guis from time to time I
guess it is a needed service.

Does that seem to "jive" or is some of the info I came across or my
understanding of it incorrect.

I guess I could just shut it off and see where that gets me but... well
trial and error leads to error.

--
Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/